Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Edited or unedited?

I haven't bought any of the Warner Collection sets, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the films are unedited or if they've been trimmed for "political correctness." I have several films bought through the gray market. One of them is "The Shanghai Chest." I originally had it for many years on VHS. The DVD version is without the scene where Mantan Moreland meets Willie Best in the local precinct house. My DVD version of "Red Dragon" is also missing a scene with Mr. Best. Are the Warner Collection versions intact?

Re: Edited or unedited?

to the best of my knowledge these are complete and unedited in the sense that your are talking about.

No edits on the commercial DVDs. It sounds like your black market copies were from TV showings which were often cut down to fit a certain time slot.

The Moreland/Best prison scene is very funny and nothing objectionable to my ears/eyes. Certainly nothing racial; just two funny guys doing what they do best.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll buy the Warner sets.