Christian's With Depression Message Board

Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com 

Christian's With Depression Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Topic for the week

I would like to work as an office clerk in a medical office, or in a psychiatric clinic or psychiatric ward in a hospital. Right now I am going through the process of training to be an office clerk; when I finish my studies in April, and am looking for work, I am going to seek opportunities in places like this.

I would also like to use my depression to encourage those I have relationships with (e.g. friendships, people on this site, etc.); a little story of how I did this in the past is posted a few paragraphs below.

Currently, my depression is just helping me to have a real compassion for other people who struggle with depression...and with health issues in general, and even with addictions. It has humbled me. It has made me more understanding. It has helped me to set godly priorities in my life. It has helped me to speak up about mental health issues at school and work, when such issues come up in conversation. Most of all, it has strengthened my love for God and for other people.

Last year, one of my very good friends died of an aggressive and rare form of cancer after suffering a lot with the disease, and after suffering through chemotherapy and surgery to prolong her life until she died. Because I was familiar with suffering from depression, God used my experience with depression to have incredible empathy for her...and a deep, heart-felt sympathy for her devastating suffering, like I would never have been able to have otherwise, in that I felt her pain in a way (severe depression is the most devastating pain and struggle I've had). I was able to share with her about my depression during her pain, and come closer to her as her friend. I also was able to encourage her through situational depression she felt because of her disease. Depression allowed me to take risks in our friendship that would have been harder to take otherwise, and this strengthened our friendship. I was so honored to be asked to speak at her funeral.

I knew I was supposed to share about my depression with her, but I wasn't sure about the timing. When she developed cancer, I knew the time had come because I didn't want to miss the chance to do what God was telling me to do.

If you're interested in reading about her life, I think she still has her blog site on the internet; I'm not sure of the address, but if you google prairie rascal and shantelle almeida, you should be able to find her site. She wrote many encouraging and godly entries on this site that very much encouraged me.

Laurie

Re: Re: Re: Forgot to mention to you Mar...

Without prescription coverage, it may be tough to obtain proper meds if you need them...perhaps the free clinic can help you? Where I live, there are special government support programs to apply for for those who have special medication needs. Maybe there is something similar where you live?

Please take medication if you need it. I pray for God to open a door for you to get the care you need (medication included if it is needed...especially since it has helped you before) even though your situation is so difficult right now.

I too suffer from side effects, but after so many bouts with depression, I am at the place where I find the benefits far outweigh the negative things I have to deal with because of side effects. Sure, it is not fun to feel electric shock like sensations through my body, or to feel nautious (these are two of my main side effects) but the help the medication gives me is very much worth it for me.

Again, please keep us posted, Mar, we love hearing from you,

Laurie

Thanks for the encouragement Laurie

Well, I went to the free clinic last night. They opened at 5:30 pm and I went there after work. So I didn't get there till about 6:15. I understand they usually have about 40-50 patients. Last night they had 61. I was the last one to leave. It was 11:00pm. I was number 56. The doctor I saw spoke with me for quite a while and he told me if we have never had something we don't miss it. I know I've been blessed to have health coverage. There was a pharmacy at the clinic that filled the prescription for Lexapro. I know that if I just trust God, I will avoid a lot of worry. It was rather entertaining to spend 4 hours with a room full of people. One man and woman were showing off their tattoos.

Re: Thanks for the encouragement Laurie

Hi Mar,

Praise God! It sounds like you were able to see a wonderful doctor. Also, it is so great to hear that you have medication coverage at this clinic.

This is so wonderful to hear.

God is so faithful.

I pray for God's continued hand on your life as you 'wade' through your situation.

Laurie