Return to Website

Christian's With Depression Message Board

Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com 

Christian's With Depression Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
What have you learned about God from being depressed?

Hello Mdpride & Laura.

I am so thankful for your friendships. You both bless me so much with your honesty.

I have not been doing to well. When I don't do to well at times, I just close in and not share with others. I have also still been recovering with my sprained ankle. I have notice that on Raining days my foot where was broken hurts. I guess I am experiencing arthritis already. I have so much to do to get caught up in over the last 11 weeks. I am overwhelmed. I know I am to take one task at a time and one day at a time and one hour at a time. I been through this so many times. I just get tired of being overwhelmed.

Okay enough of that. ..............

I have so much to share about what I have learned and what I am learning about God in my midst of my depression.

When I first came to know the Lord, I was depressed suicidal. In my first months of reading God's word for the first time. He gave me. Philippians 4:13 as my life verse. "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Him of course is Jesus. I can do nothing without Him especially in the midst of my low periods in depression. I have to truly rely on Him, I mediate with Him, I do all that I can with Him, pray, read the Bible, fellowship with other Christians, listen to worship songs or Christian contemporary music. I have to do these things to get through my days and through my tasks He has for me.

Like Laura mention about how she has learned about God's love. Well that is what overwhelmed in the beginning of my days with Him. I could not fathom the Love of his Children that had for me and His love as well. I was not loved much as a child. So I totally agree in Laura's post. I will not repeat. (smile)

Also about 9 years ago, I was talking with the Lord, saying how in the world will you use me in full time ministry for you. He gave me verse 2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

This verse is When God was speaking to Apostle Paul when Paul ask God to take way his infirmity, He asked 3 times, obviously it was hampering his ministry.

He told me (Sarita) His Grace is sufficient for me. I am made perfect through Him in my weakness of depression .
So we are in the midst of God's hand in our depression, we can be come strong through Him, His grace is sufficient for us.

In the midst of our low periods we have to remember the verse that says, I am crucified with Christ it is no longer I that lives but that Christ that lives within me. Actually here is the verse word for word cannot rely on my memory. (smile) Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

We have to die daily to be able to receive the strength we need to get through our days.

Also another verse that comes to mind that God has used in my depression is I have to pick up my cross daily. Mark 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

We have to take up the cross daily, not just sharing the gospel but in giving our burdens to Him. My burden is depression.

When I am depressed I tend to look down, so this verse in Psalms helps me where does my help come from? I look the the mountain whence my helps comes the Lord who is creator and make of all earth. Again let me give the verse, that is para phrased. Psalms 121:1-2 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.

The whole chapter is good it is 8 verses go read it. This really came to alive to me when I lived in Virginia. I saw mountains daily.

Well, this is some what I have learned in the midst of my depression, in how to keep keeping on with Jesus (God) and keeping on during my depression.

I hope to share more. This is a big topic for me. Since I came to know the Lord in the midst of my depression, everything I have learned in the Bible co sides with dealing with my depression.

I have to start a 2nd post cause they say i have exceeded the limit. Sorry for such a long post but it is very important to me to share what I need too.

Re: What have you learned about God from being depressed?

Thank you for asking this question. I needed to go through these verses again. I know all this but putting it to my walk is a different stroy. There are times I am walking these verses and then there are times when I have left what God has given me. He told me what I need to endure with this infirmity.

I strong suggest you to get back involved in church and daily reading God's word IF you are not. You will be surprised how the blessings with flow, just by being in fellowship. No it will not take the depression away, but you will learn more of God.

Hope to come back again soon and share some more.

I hope some more will share. I also suggest us to come and share again and again. There is so much we should be learning from God in the midst of our depression journey.

God bless.

p.s
If you want to email you are more than welcome too. I know somethings are hard to share publicly.

Re: Re: What have you learned about God from being depressed?

Thanks for the invite to e-mail.

At this point, I prefer to continue to post on the message board publicly, but the e-mail idea is a good option for those hesitant to share, or those wishing to share more in-depth information.

Lately, I have been blessed unexpectedly at my school. I loved my university days, but being an older student now who has just come from the workforce, I was hesitant to go back to school. However, God has blessed me with many friends in my program, and an opportunity to speak about mental health as part of a Business Communications class I am taking. I speak on Monday afternoon, and am nervous but also a bit excited because I have been praying to be able to speak out publicly about mental health conditions.

Let's continue to persevere and share together. We can help each other. It sure is helping me.

Welcome also to the new voices on this site!

Laurie

Re: what have you learned about God from being depressed?

I have had some trouble getting excited about reading God's word and Christian books. I believe God can help me with depression but hard to see my way out of it.