Return to Website

Christian's With Depression Message Board

Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com 

Christian's With Depression Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Depression

Hello I'm new to all this on the web but I feel so despondant that I must have someone tell me it's okay. 10 years ago I lost a lot of family and friends through death especially my dad who died suddenly on my birthday I didn't even say good bye to him. After these things happened I went into mild depression as my doctor said, I just couldn't do or feel anything, well suddenly I fell into severe depression and all the dark thoughts and feeling like I was in a pit came to me, I even had the thought of worshipping satan whatever that means. That thought nearly destroyed me as I honestly thought that is what I wanted I thought that the demons of hell were after me. During a long period of this depression the Lord revealed more of Himself to me and gradually the thoughts cleared but I really thought I was going mad and the only one to suffer these thoughts, my friend at church said it was because I was ill that I was having these thoughts and when I became better the thoughts did go. My doctor said that what had happened to me was like someone taking a mind altering drug, my mind had been split. I get depression on and off now but each time these same thoughts come back to me. Could someone please tell me am I going mad or is it the depression again. I was also told that because my mind had become so ill it had been traumatised and that each time I have the depression it is like having post traumatic shock. I don't know all I know is I feel suicidal. Sorry its a long letter but I dont know what to do

Re: Depression

Dear Marilyn:
You are not alone.I have had depression for many years. I have been a christian for ten years and have asked the Lord to heal me many times, and at this point He has chosen not to do so. He has shown me(and I pray that He will show you) that there are many others who suffer from it and that He can use you to minister and help those people. Only when you have been through it yourself, do you truly understand how others feel.
As far as your thoughts go, the Word says that we must take those thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ.
The Devil knows that if He keeps you thinking of yourself and not on God He has done his job. I too, have many destructive thoughts, but I know that our God is not a God who is condemning you. He understands what you are going through and is with you, even when you don't "feel" it.
One more thought, has your dr. suggested antidepressants. It was a miracle for me. There are many that are very good. You might want to ask about them.
I am praying for you. Remember you are not alone.
Love your sister in Christ
Liz

Re: Re: Depression

Thanks Liz for your reply. I have taken on board what you've said about taking our eyes off of our thoughts and putting them on the Lord, I think what really frightened me was instead of thinking of them as destructive thoughts I got frightened because it was about worshipping the devil, I believed God would never forgive me and because of the depression I really felt I wanted to. I since think it was because of the depression that these thoughts came and it was in the thoughts about the devil, it could well have been some other destructive thoughts occuring, thank you for replying to me and I hope we can keep in touch. My doctor did put me on fluoxetine and the dose has been increased to 3 a day. I would like to change them as I've been on them for a while, but thought it not wise yet because of how I am feeling
Thank you for praying for me and I will do the same
Love in Jesus
Marilyn