General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
‘Nic Sick’ documentary addresses youth vaping in Idaho

It was the first day of middle school in Sandpoint when 12-year-old Justice took her first vape hit in the girls’ bathroom. She thought vaping would make her popular. Damien started vaping in middle school to ease his stress. By the time he got to high school in Nampa he wasn’t able to catch his breath during exercise. Chase started vaping with his friends in Jerome when he was 12, then he became so addicted he was expelled from his high school for multiple vaping-related offenses.

Justice, Damien and Chase’s stories are not unique. Idaho is in the midst of a youth vaping crisis: one in five teens has tried vaping at least once. And according to Idaho medical experts, kids are vaping as early as age seven.

With funding from tobacco settlement dollars, Idaho Public Television has launched KNOW VAPE, a statewide campaign to raise awareness about the dangers of youth vaping in Idaho through a documentary, a video contest for teens, free online resources for parents and teachers, standards-based curriculum for educators, and a social media campaign.

Nic Sick: The Dangers of Youth Vaping — a documentary that airs Tuesday, March 21, at 7 PM on Idaho Public Television — is a focal point of the campaign. It follows Idaho teens, including Justice, Damien and Chase, as they talk with heartbreaking authenticity about how and why they started vaping and the health and behavioral consequences that followed. Health and science experts, law-enforcement personnel, Idaho parents, and vaping prevention and cessation counselors are also featured.

To aid students, parents and teachers in educating young people about the dangers of vaping and the importance of quitting, free KNOW VAPE resources and shareable social media are available online at idahoptv.org/knowvape.

The KNOW VAPE campaign also includes an anti-vape video contest for Idaho 13-to-18-year-olds. Teen creators are asked to produce a video, no longer than 90 seconds, that speaks to the dangers of vaping, vaping prevention or how to quit vaping. More than $10,000 in cash prizes will be awarded to the winners. Winning videos will be broadcast on IdahoPTV and shared across social media channels

Re: ‘Nic Sick’ documentary addresses youth vaping in Idaho

I visited the shop in store centre nord and order some flum vape . This was my first time buying an e-cigarette so i had many questions. They took their time and helped a novice buy what he needed. Will not be the last time I visit this shop.