Penny Lane Striders
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question for Fast/Experienced Marathon runners

I am thinking of trying to run my first marathon since joining the club, and I wanted to do the Manchester Marathon on the 10th of April, and I would like to go under three hours.

I have already entered the Cardiff half which is two weeks before on the 26th March and would want to properly race it aswell as it will be a quick course.

Am I going to be able to recover in that two weeks or do you think come marathon day I would still be feeling it and it would be a waste of an entry and training?

Thanks

Dan

Re: Question for Fast/Experienced Marathon runners

Hi Dan
I've sent you an email with my thoughts.
Tim

Dan

My view would be that it wouldn't be wise to go eyeballs out in a h-m so close to a full marathon. I would leave a gap of least three weeks. Two weeks before a marathon you'll be in the tapering phase.

However, it's each to their own and others may advise differently. Maybe Alex Cowin is the man to ask for advice - he's just run his third sub-3 hr marathon of the year!

Nige

I'm with nige on this...
If you have already paid for Cardiff, I'd say run it at marathon pace, that would be a good tapering session

Good luck

Agree with Nige and Simo. A half marathon eyeballs out two weeks before a full marathon doesn't leave much time to recover. I'd usually aim to leave at least three weeks between a half and a marathon to maximise your chances of performing well at the marathon. As Simo says, if you've already entered it then you could use the half as a marathon paced run.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will leave the Manchester marathon and enter the Rock and Roll or Chester instead, Need to get some races under my belt first as haven't done much for a couple of months!

Don't get too hung up on the 3 hour goal especially if you haven't raced for a while. Have lesser goals in case it doesn't all go to plan. London qualification is still 3:05 for instance.