Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Good time Charlie," drinking in Paris!

Yes, John, I was also thinking of how Charlie Chan seems to be routinely smoking a cigarette as he speaks with the incognito Lt. Ruark next to the dude ranch swimming pool in "The Golden Eye." and, Lou, you are correct about the other instance, in "Charlie Chan in Rio," where Mr. Chan seems to expertly puff on a cigarette as he demonstrates that he is not affected by the "psychognosis" drug which is normally triggered by a cigarette.

Also, Lou, the moments you noted from "Charlie Chan in Paris" mark the ONLY instances I can recall of Chan partaking of any alcoholic beverage in the films or in the Biggers stories! I can only suggest that he was trying to be a gracious guest by not refusing to join his host(s) in a glass. It also seems to me that he was not used to the experience of the bubbly nature of the champagne in the first instance!

By the "New Adventures of Charlie Chan" TV series, the detective was known to use tobacco, but I cannot recall for sure whether he is seen enjoying a drink of alcohol. I believe it happens, but it is not often.

Sincerely,
Rush