Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A Chan Convention - I Don't Think So

The points you bring up on why a Chan convention wouldn't work are all obviously valid and logical. I guess I must have been one of the two people to write you about my interest in a Chan convention a couple of years ago. In defense of a small niche Chan convention possibly working I suggest similar niche conventions like that of Doctor Who which runs in Los Angeles and Chicago on a yearly basis (the present Who convention in Chicago has run for over ten years--several of those years before the recent high profile revival). Many of these conventions are loaded with guests who write about the series and other speakers who put the program into its appropriate cultural context. Two possible guests at a Chan convention could be film historians or authors who have written about Chan. There was (I'm not sure it still takes place)a Sherlock Holmes convention that ran at a Hyatt in Chicago and since the Rathbone/Bruce films made up a part of that convention and very few actors or writers from those films survive, it's not outside the realm of possibility to hold out a chance for a small convention without central actors or creators involved in the event. I only thought a Chan convention would be cozy and fun. I didn't realise the extent of your frustration with the idea but then again I have never tried to put together a convention! Maybe a combined Chan/Holmes convention would be more viable? A niche convention wouldn't have to take place in Hawaii or be a huge affair. I was curious if there was a small gathering in the works anywhere. As I can see, there doesn't seem to be at present.