Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com 

Christian's With Depression Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: finding a christian counselor or psychiatrist/my story

I agree with Mar.

Please don't get really down before you get help.

I know the feelings of guilt...I was working at a Christian school during my last bout with depression.

Christian counsellors and doctors (and yes..medications) really do help...they've helped me a lot.

I pray for you for courage and wisdom from God as you deal with this difficult place in your life right now,

Laurie

Re: finding a christian counselor or psychiatrist/my story

Hi there,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your testimony.

I am a little late on this message, I have been bedridden with a fracture foot and sprain ankle.

If you have not found a Christian counselor, the first person I would ask to find one would be your pastor.

I would like to also inform you to look for someone who is counseling the Bible. There are a lot of Christian counselors who call them selves Christian counseling but using the world's philosophy. Christian counseling needs to be Biblical.

I am reading an excellent book called Wise Counsel. (I don't agree with all the of the book, but the majority of it is good.) There is a lot of good biblical instruction in this book and points out a lot of Christians are being deceived in Christian counseling. I was one who was deceived 14 years ago. It was my 1st time in counseling and I was suicidal. My husband was the one who realized this was not a good counseling after I had been seeing him for a year.

If your Pastor has no referrals, ask him if he know someone who would know. I would also listen for advertising on Christian Radios. If you live by a Christian University or College ask the Dean of Physcology Department.

Mdpride, I want you to stop feeling so guilty over needing medicine to help you physically. Christians who have high cholesterol needs medicine to lower there levels, these people do not feel guilty about taking the medicine temporally for it. If we need medicine to help us think clearer and to get functioning again, then we should not feel guilty. Why did God have man fine the plants to make the medicine? Or why did God create the plant for the medicine for depression?
I too felt the same way you felt. I have been on and off medicine many times in 14 years because of the mind battles of taking the medicine. I came to realize this was the Devil not God making me feel guilty. I also think us Christian would be more vocal about our Medical problem with Depression, others would speak out too and then many people in the Body of Christ would be ministering to each other in the needs of Depression. The devil has kept us silent for too long, we have suffered alone too long.

This are some of my thoughts. I hope I did not step out of bound here. I just want to encourage you to keep keeping on with Jesus. I am so happy for your new spiritual birth!!

I am sorry about your depression problems that came after the birth. I don't know where you are in talking with your primary care doctor about this. But this sounds to me you are being oppressed from the Devil which can cause depression. Is it wrong to take medicine for this? Well I don't know of any scriptures referring us to not take medicine. Actually Apostle Paul gave Timothy a remedy for health problems, so if that is in the Bible, I believe we can take medicine for temporarily problems. Now there are some of us out here dealing depression, that needs to be on medicine for long term and majority of us here on this board believe that is where God has us to be.

I hope I didn't write to much. I love to share aspect of this topic. I am learning so much on this medical problem.
c
I pray you find a good Biblical counselor.

God Bless,
Sarita

Re: Re: finding a christian counselor or psychiatrist/my story

Thank you all so much for your responses. It truly is wonderful to hear from you all on this. I'm still feeling pretty down. Today was especially hard. I'm trying to get help and am waiting on an appointment with a counselor right now. What's been really hard about this is when I get depressed it's so hard for me talk to people - all I feel like doing is hiding away, but at the same time I really long to be able to be honest with my friends about what's going on. It's very lonely to conceal my depression from them and to have to bear this problem in secret. Several times when I've been around people lately I've come close to breaking down but I never have the nerve to admit that anything's wrong. Sharing on this board makes all this a little less burdensome, so thank you all for reading and posting. Please pray for me that I'll find a friend who I can really confide in because I know that's what Christian friendships are supposed to be like but it just seems so impossible right now.

mdpride

I just started seeing a couselor the past 2 weeks. I cried most of the time during our first session. I feel better this week after getting on medication, writing and talking. One of the best couselors I had was on the college campus that I attended. I pray that God directs you to a good couselor and perhaps you've seen one by the time you read this post.